Sunday 20 September 2009

Old fashioned stew

I found a recipe in one of my 70s cookbooks from an op shop. It was for an old fashioned English stew and it turned out to be just delicious. Very simple too. But quite meaty. I browned about 750g of beef and 250g of bacon and some onions, then put them into a slow cooker with some chopped potatoes, carrots, cabbage (out of the garden, last of the season) and a good dose of salt and pepper, thyme and bay leaves. Oh, and stock. It called for beef stock, but I'm always trying to use up my fish stock, so I put 750ml of that in. Sounds weird I know. But when I took it out of the slow cooker the next day, it was delicious, and not even vaguely fishy. So we have the yumminess of the beef and bacon and the goodness of the fish stock. And very reasonably priced too folks. Lasted two meals, nearly three, so probably $5-$6 per meal.

I've been time poor looking after littlies, so I've been on easy street with the lunches this week. All it said on my meal plan was 'sandwiches'. Some of them have been quite yummy though I must say. Ok, I'll admit here that dearly beloved made most of them. Bread, butter, avocado, fresh sliced tomato, some sort of meat (ham, proscuitto), cucumber etc. Very tasty and economical.

Breakfasts. I've been all out of ideas here. But loving the eggs at the moment. Fried eggs on toast with bacon have been a staple this week. Yum, yum, good fats, good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment