Sunday 20 September 2009

Delicious, Simple Dal

Ahhh dal. Such a simple meal, peasant food, but it can be so delicious, nutritious, and yes cheapskates, it's cheap as chips. The key to a delicious dal is CONDIMENTS. Our favourite at the moment is a lime pickle I made a few months ago. Really simple recipe (will fill you in another day), and very authentic tasting. Goes extremely well with a simple dal. So, for dinner I cooked some split mung beans in fish stock (I've found a good use for fish stock! - very nutritious, and I can finally get rid of some of the hoards of it in my freezer). Separately I fried up some onion, ginger, garlic till soft, then added ground cumin, coriander, tumeric, paprika, mustard seeds, and cardamom. I left out the chilli so that Little Miss Four would eat it (alas, I was wrong). Finally added the cooked dal. Done. Earlier I fried some brown rice in ghee for 10 minutes, then added water and cooked on a low heat for 45 mins. At the last minute I steamed cauliflower and carrots, and put it all together, with, of course the lime pickle, some yoghurt, and lots of fresh coriander out of the garden. I made double so we'd have leftovers, and I reckon the meal would have only cost $3.

Lunch was a very simple and quick sandwich. Fresh home made sourdough bread, topped with plenty of butter, avocado, sliced tomato, and some very yummy home-made cheese (more about that another day too). Salt and pepper. I could eat that all day.

Breakfast is always a tough one. I get a bit bored with the same old same old. Need new ideas. Today I was short on ideas, so we had overnight-soaked porridge, cooked in milk (makes it creamy). Topped with cream (raw is best), raw honey, and a spoon of coconut oil (good way to get good fats into Littlies). Yummy and nutritious, but yes, quite obvious.

Eat on, cheapskates.

No comments:

Post a Comment