Saturday 22 August 2009

Delicious food on a budget

Delish Fish pie. It was exactly what I felt like for dinner. And my darling beloved cooked it beautifully. I was putting the kids to bed while he was cooking, so this is what he told me that he did - boiled a few eggs then quartered them, fried some onions and leeks, steamed some carrots and potatoes, put it all together in a baking dish with cream, salt and pepper, mustard, and a sprinkling of flour and breadcrumbs to thicken it slightly. Then a handful of cheese on top. Baked to perfection in about 45 mins. I tell you, it was divine. I really need to let him cook more often...

...oh, and about the budget side of it. You know, good food really doesn't need to be expensive. The fish was local caught, sustainable species (we hope) and cost $7. Eggs were $5 a dozen from the local organic markets, plus veges from there too (similar price to supermarket). Cream from the farm for $1.50 a litre. My estimate for the pie is $12 - and we have enough leftovers for another meal, so that makes it $6 a meal. Lots of good fats in there too, so very satisfying.

Lunch was a Thai vege curry. Fried an onion and Thai green curry paste, add a tin of coconut milk, lots of veges, some rapadura sugar, fish sauce, and lemon juice. Then cooked some rice to go with it. Would have been very budget. All organic. Probably cost a few bucks.

Pancakes for breakfast, with a difference. I soaked the flour overnight in yoghurt (predisgests it, very good for you), then in the morning added two eggs, pinch of salt, pinch of baking soda, and water to thin it, then fried them in coconut oil. Ok, nothing different about that. But this morning I grated a carrot and a green apple, and panfried them in butter. Yum. So my pancake stack had that carrot/apple/butter on top, with lashings of cream. Very yum. We buy the grain in bulk, and yoghurt is home-made, apples in a bulk box, and all organic or local spray-free. So I'm thinking that this meal only cost about $1-$2.

Real food. Budget prices. You can't beat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment